Welcome to C.J. Horner Company, Inc
In the 1900s, Our company’s founder, Mr. C.J. Horner, taught school in Mountain Valley, Arkansas in a one-room schoolhouse. He commuted by foot from Hot Springs to Mountain Valley daily to report to work. Mountain Valley, a rural agricultural community north of Hot Springs, was comprised of many farming families. When there was a surplus of agricultural goods, Mr. Horner would purchase the goods from the families of Mountain Valley and sell them to Hot Springs residents for a profit. Thus, the foundation for the company was born.
C.J. Horner Co., Inc. was founded in 1907 in Hot Springs at the corner of Benton Street, now Convention Boulevard and Palm Street. During this time, the business sold livestock feed, coal, and wholesale groceries.
During the 40s, 50s, and 60s, C.J. Horner Co., Inc. began fostering many of the customer and vendor relationships that are alive and well today.
In 1979, we established our first sand and gravel mine in Haskell, Arkansas to service our concrete business and to sell aggregates to the Little Rock market.
In 1985, C.J. Horner Co., Inc. purchased both Arkadelphia Sand and Gravel and Roland Ready Mix in Malvern from the Williams family.
Valley Lumber Co. was purchased in 1987. Our current lumber yard and building materials locations have been at the corner of Grand Avenue and Valley Street in Hot Springs since the 1920s, serving as a mainstay in the Hot Springs building industry since the late 1800s.
Our primary concrete plant location off of Westinghouse Drive in Hot Springs has been online since 1997. Our state-of-the-art plant and maintenance shop employees 35 plus people.
In 1998, C.J. Horner Co., Inc. donated property on Convention Boulevard to the City of Hot Springs for the construction of the Hot Springs Convention Center.
We opened Big Oak Sand and Gravel in Social Hill, Arkansas in 2015. This location provides aggregates to our various concrete plant locations and the greater Hot Springs community.